Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

The Sea of Tranquility 
I am so in love with this book! I never wanted it to end! It should go on and on and on forever!! I swear, it should be a law that all readers have to read this book, that is how much I love it. I even sent a demanding text to Ashley about it:
 
Me: I am sending you The Sea of Tranquility when I get home and I don't care what you plan on reading next, you better drop it and read this! Lol, wow I feel so demanding.
 
Ashley: lol, yes ma'am


We all know how much I loved Slammed right? Well, this goes right beside it, hand in hand. The book is not the same type story line as Slammed, but I got the same vibe and emotional pull from it. It is just so beautiful, powerful and deep...and it's going right on my favorites of 2012 list. The words have been taken from me, I just can't begin to express how much I loved this and how much I want the rest of the world to read it. I was completely emotionally invested in all of the characters. There were no moments that I was like "Why is this person even in the book?" I had to know about each and every one of them.
 
My favorite line of the book--just look at the truth in it:
It amazes me how people are so afraid of what can happen in the dark, but they don't give a second thought about their safety during the day; as if the sun offers some sort of ultimate protection for all the evil in the world. It doesn't. All it does is whisper to you, lulling you with its warmth before it shoves you face down into the dirt. Daylight won't protect you from anything. bad things happen all of the time; they don't wait until after dinner.
If that doesn't get you wondering what the hell the book is about, nothing will.
Even if I try to tell you what it's about, there is no way that my words will do it justice. There isn't a simple way to write a synopsis for a book that is as powerful as this one. 


Nastya moves in with her aunt a few hours away from her parent’s home. There’s something about her. Something from her past that she is escaping and she’s taking on a new life. Starting a new high school where nobody knows her. She wants to be invisible from everyone and push everyone away. She has a plan for this, but it doesn't seem to work on everyone. It actually draws some unwanted attention to her, causing her to somehow be friends with the "Ken doll" of high school.

As much as hard as Nastya tries to be invisible, she realizes that there is someone who can do it better than her. At lunch, when all of the tables are filled with the normal high school cliques, she sees this loner. It's like he has a force field around him that no one can break. She is intrigued. How does he do it? He doesn't seem like anything is wrong, he actually looks pretty bad ass.
 
So here we have two broken characters, and that is where we get our story. Nothing else I can tell you, I am stricken for words.
 
I hate myself for waiting so long to read it, that is how much it affected me. Emotional, deep and poetically written. A zillion stars for me.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your review! You know how sometimes when you're reading a book you can skim or skip lines?
    I couldn't (and didn't want to) do that with this book. Every single word and punctuation mark was placed perfectly. I read this last week and want to re-read it again (and again). This was hands down one of the best books I have ever read, and it will stay with me for a long time. It affected me greatly. :) I really hope Katja gets a book deal because I want this book to reach more people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% I didn't skim at all while reading this, and I didn't want to either. I want the world to read this book and experience it for what it is.....magical greatness, lol

      Delete